Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Jesus Healed My TV

One of the hurdles in my marriage and relationship with my husband has been the differences in faith. My husband claims to be an atheist and I am a christian. We for the most part have been able to keep this difference from forcing any wedges between us, but it is sometimes I can't help but giggle when God shows up.

Let me clarify that my husband is very supportive of my faith. He will even give me a little grief if I don't go to church. He encourages my prayer and bible time, and has even made jokes that if God does exsist that my family has a direct line. We are prayers. Prayer warriors. We like to get stuff done. If someone needs a job, a baby, a raise, a healing, we pray and God usually answers. It's not magic, it's just faith.

A couple weeks ago the unthinkable happened. The TV broke! I know that our culture as a whole has a serious addiction to technology, heck I saw a nun on Oprah with a blackberry. I was so upset. I had just paid the cable bill for one, and my favorite show was saved on the DVR. My husband and I did all we could but the thing just wouldn't turn on. Unplugged it and plugged it back in. We took a screwdriver to the switch, and nothing. We tried to fix it for 20 minutes. Deflated and defeated we gave up.

My husband went to the kitchen and started cooking dinner, I sat down at the laptop in the dining room and began to price televisions online. Then we had a discussion that if we are going to buy a new TV it should be the nice flat screen we were planning to buy with the tax return money. Those are very expensive, and we are still recovering from the wedding and have little of the proverbial pot to Tivo in. So I said a little prayer, well whined a little prayer out loud.
"Jesus, please fix the TV."

About three minutes later the TV came on! Yes all by it's self. My husband looked at me and I looked at him. I said "Thank you Jesus!" My husband laughed at me and said, "Jesus doesn't care about the TV." And I think he's right. Jesus doesn't care about my TV, but he'll take any opportunity to prove my husband wrong. Or at least mess with him a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment