Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Stolen Pumpkin

Every fall, my husband and I do our grocery shopping and look at the big beautiful pumpkins and he tells me of this infamous pumpkin stew he makes. I have never had said stew, but I am told it is amazing. It is a beef stew you make in a pumpkin, and bake it in the oven. Then when you serve it, you scrape the inside of the pumpkin with the serving spoon..I salivate every time he tells me about it. He says, "Honey, I will make it for you this year."

Imagine my surprise when he picks me up with a list of things to buy for the stew. On our way to Schnucks, I get so excited. We begin combing the store for all the necessary ingredients. As our cart fills, my stomach growls. Just one item left. The pumpkin. A look of panic comes over our faces as we think back to the produce section and neither of us can remember seeing a pumpkin. They must have pumpkins, Thanksgiving is next week!

We scurry around the store and no pumpkins! My husband finds a store manager and asks where the pumpkins are. He says they shipped all of their pumpkins out after Halloween. We ask if he knows of any where to get a pumpkin, and he chuckles and says, "This time of year? Maybe a farmers market."

We get on the phone and look up the numbers to some farmers markets and all we found in the neighborhood closed at five. As we are checking out all the items for the stew minus the pumpkin we have a short judgmental conversation about how no Americans make real pumpkin pie any more. I mean I don't, but all those other people out there should be ashamed of themselves! True pumpkin outta of can is easier, lighter weight, and makes a really tasty pumpkin pie, but come on! We mourn the loss of our fictional grandmothers whose hair was all white at the age of 50, up in a perfect bun everyday, whom wore ruffled aprons and served food on good china while constantly asking us if we've had enough to eat, with a European accent. Now she would have scraped her own pumpkin for pumpkin pie!

And speaking of European grandmothers.....I had a thought. It was wrong and I shouldn't have even spoken the words, but out they came.

"I bet if we drove through the neighborhood we'd find a pumpkin. I mean we are on the Hill. (The Hill is a very old Italian neighborhood, filled with restaurants, markets, sandwich shops and bungalow houses.) My husband laughs and says that he was thinking it but he didn't think I'd go along with it.

I have very few theft stories in my life. I once stole a paint brush in college because I needed it for a painting, and the store wanted $20 for the stupid thing.( Rational stealing is still stealing, but less guilt.) Also my sister stole some sunglasses once and got caught, and subsequently lost a job over it. The last instance was my favorite. It involves my brother in law stealing a phone book from a hotel running up the street screaming GO! GO! GO! as he hopped into a moving mini van. Some stories dont need explaining.

So we began our sneaky Operation Pumpkin. We drive slowly up and down the streets eyeballing up all the pumpkins. "There's one!...There's another!"

"Honey I would like to not actually go onto someones porch to steal their pumpkin."

We finally see one. Reachable from the street, no lights on. We park the car, and my husband who can't walk through living room without stomping and usually knocking things over or bumping into furniture turns into a feline and steals the pumpkin with no sound. He hands it to me through the window and I almost break my arm.

He gets back in the car and as we pull away he says. "Yeah that ones way too big!" I die laughing! It must have weighed 28 pounds! Hes laughing, I'm laughing! This wont even fit in the oven! Well maybe now we can trade the big one for someone else's smaller one.

We spot a house with a haystack and a pumpkin display. They have 2 that are the perfect size. We park and my husband approaches the door. I watch in the rear view mirror and imagine the conversation as he knocks on the door.

"Excuse me mam. Can I please trade you this lovely 28 pound pumpkin for one of a more manageable size. You see I'm making this stew." She would say sure my dear, then tomorrow when the neighborhood news letter comes out realizes that we traded her a stolen pumpkin. Antonio wages a war with her.. "Hey! Dat iz a my pompkin!" All will tell the story for years of the people in the Honda that steal pumpkins. All Honda driving white couples will be banned from sandwich shops. And eventually riot ends up on channel 2 news.

Luckily no one comes to the door. We trade for the medium size pumpkin. The stew was awesome! And the moral to the story is its bad to steal! You should never do it, but if u must, steal something that will likely never make a pie.

3 comments:

  1. You should've returned the pumpkin after it was baked and scraped clean of the stew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought about it, but I do need Christmas lights....JK

    ReplyDelete
  3. That puts a whole new spin on the concept of "lawn gnoming." Loves it.

    ReplyDelete